Wednesday 10 April 2013

The Monastery of Agios Savvas

The monastery of Agios Savvas lies on top of a hill above Pothia town, the capital of Kalymnos.

Saint Savvas was born in 1862 and he was a monk. During the last 20 years of his life he lived as a kind-hearted priest in Kalymnos.


I liked the monastery. It was very well looked after, incredibly tidy and pretty. All the buildings were made of stone (some of them painted white) with red slated roofs. I loved the views from the terraces over the sea and the town of Pothia and the delightful flowers that were growing around the buildings.




I couldn't believe that I wasn't allowed to run around because my favourite sport is running plus there is loads of space for running around. Also if you whistle in  the monastery it is considered to be disrespectful. I now know that in Holy places you shouldn't whistle or run and you have to be polite and quiet.




On the whole it is a wonderful monastery and I would recommend you visiting it if you are in Kalymnos. 

Stay tuned and don't forget to comment.

7 comments:

  1. My grandma used to forbid me to whistle in everyday life, no matter where I was. She said that Mother Mary is crying when you are whistling, because, they say, people whistled when Christ was walking with the Cross to Golgofa. So you act kinda like those people, that's why you shouldn't whistle.. Grandma said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew that mother Mary cries when people whistle, oops now I know ever to whistle.

      Delete
  2. I never knew that, but I remember visiting a monastery as a kid and finding it awfully boring because I wasn't allowed to DO anything >.< Nowadays I understand why, but boy, oh boy, I felt so sorry for those monks being all quiet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats funny. Well now you know the rules about churches and monasteries ;).

      Delete
  3. This place looks absolutely amazing!Thank you for sharing your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI SASHA HOW IS IT GOING YOU HAVING FUN LOOKS LKE IT SEE YOU IN SEPTEMBER BYE




    SOPHIE STEPHENS

    ReplyDelete