Thursday 18 April 2013

Greek Food

I have been living in Kalymnos for 3 weeks now and I have tasted a lot of Greek national dishes.
Greek food is very different from the food I'm used to in Great Britain.



People on the island eat a lot of Feta cheese, yoghurt, honey and olive oil.

There are lots of lemon trees and Kalymnians squeeze the juice of lemons on their food.

There is no frozen food on the and ready cooked meals in the super market. So people buy fresh
vegetables and fresh meat or fish and cook everything from scratch. Also Kalymnians keep loads of animals( goats, chickens, rabbits and sheep) to provide them with their own fresh eggs, milk and meat.





As well you can find a lot of fig, orange and olive trees on the island.

Overall I would like to say Kalymnians eat much healthier food than English people, and that is why they live to about the age of 100-110 and don't suffer with obesity.

Some of my favourite dishes so far are:

FAKES - a lentil soup usually served with vinegar and olive oil.



GREEK SALAD - a tomato salad with cucumber, red onion, Feta cheese and kalamata olives, dressed with olive oil.



ZOUTZOUKAKIA - large meat balls with cumin, cinnamon and garlic and served in a tomato sauce.



And my favourite sweet so far is GALAKTOBOUREKA - custard between layers of phyllo pastry. The name derives from Greek "Ghala" meaning milk, and from the Turkish "borek" meaning filled, thus meaning "filled with milk".




  

27 comments:

  1. Hey Dude :) I got here via a post on Facebook by Elina Ellis. I am a German who lives in England now; unfortunately there don't seem to be many Greek restaurants in the UK, whereas there are lots and lots in Germany. You are right, the food is immensely healthy and altogether beautiful.
    As a kid, I spent every summer in Slovenia, where people kept their own chickens, goats and cows just like you describe folks in Kalymnos do. I would gather eggs, milk cows and feed pigs every day and eat a different dish every day of the week, too. Nowadays, it always seems to be pizza or lasagna from the freezer... I a going to read up the recipe for that lentil soup, it sounds fantastic. Thank you for sharing your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment it means a lot to me.

      So you had to look after animals when you were young? Was it hard? Was it fun or boring?

      Delete
    2. Hi Sasha hope you haveing a good time From Keiran s from school

      Delete
    3. Keiran its not your school.

      Delete
    4. hi sasha what are you up to at the minute
      from keiran

      Delete
  2. I love your blog Sasha! Very interesting and informative! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Sasha! I and my daughter with pleasure read your interesting blog about life in Greece and see your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, as I have never been to Greece, your blog is very interesting for me as I am getting a lot of new information here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great, and you will be getting more information in my next post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi sasha its ellie from pennoweth Greece seems pretty cool the veiws are amazing!!! we have just started doing our coularges

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How is school, is everything good.

      Delete
    2. yeah its fine everyone misses you though!!!

      Delete
    3. yeah its fine everyone misses you though!!!

      Delete
    4. Tell them I miss them to

      Delete
  8. Hi Sasha it is Rachel from Pennoweth Greece looks awesome the views are amazingly beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH Rachel it's you I, thought you were someone else.

    So you like my blog, hope you enjoy my other posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi sasha the food looks nice from keiran symons

      Delete
  10. hi sasha we have just done sewing it was wicked !!!!!!! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI, I live in Italy, but I love Greek salad too... happy you are enjoying your staying there... Greek is so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know the food is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi it george from school hope to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi sasha we have a new kid in our class Anthony he is from man u wen is yo next blog r u having fun it must be awsome there I'm so jealous from sophie Davies aka the weird girl

    ReplyDelete